Jul 24th, 2007 by AhYap
My blog slogan is “Better than reading newspaper”. I choose this slogan because I prefer to blog something that you don’t read on newspaper. It is not that “they don’t know” but they have a lot of limitations on what they can write.
Today topic is “Is There a Relationship Between The Police and The Reporters”. Do you think they have any relationship? Why when there is something happening, the reporters will know so fast?
There is a rape case in Ipoh few days ago (I am very sad that Ipoh is becoming Johor Bahru). And my question is, “Why the hell the reporter will know so fast about the case?”. Who is the one that is telling the reporter about the case?
Let us do some analysis. First, who know about the case?
1. The rapist - Oh, do you think it is the rapist that told the reporters?
2. The victim – Oh, do you want to tell the whole world that you are being raped?
3. The public helpers - Since usually the victim will be helped by some public (sent to hospital or police station). They might be informing the reporters. It is possible but if it is you and me, we will definitely feel sympathy to the victim. At most we will tell friends and families, but I don’t think we will call the reporters.
4. Doctors, Nurses and Hospital Staffs – I believe most doctors are professionals. But low-paid hospital staffs (counter clerk, ambulance drivers…) do have high possibilities in telling the reporters if they can get some ‘reward’ in return from the news media. However, most crimes don’t involved ‘hospital’ accept those that need body check out (like raping).
5. Police! Unless you don’t lodge a police report, police will know THE MOST THING regarding a case.
Now for your brain to think -
“Do you think reporters have special information linkage to polices?”.
“Do you think reporters are willing to pay polices some ‘gift’ on recurring basis so they will be informed on things. And extra ‘bonuses’ if the news is big enough?”.
“Do you think polices would like to get some extra ‘gift’ by disclosing information?”
“Do you think news media can survive without reliable source of information? Do you think they can survive if they are the last to know about something?”
Newspaper always say something like this, “The police didn’t confirm … (it is like this) … but according to reliable source, it is indeed …. (like this) …”. Like confirming the DNA of the three-year-old little girl Ying Ying recently. The police didn’t make an official statement that it is indeed the little girl but the media says, “According to reliable source…”
What is the reliable source? Why the hell they can’t tell us what is the ‘reliable source’? Media usually wants to tell us AS MUCH THING as they can. But why in the case they use the phase ‘reliable source’?
I didn’t make any statements here. These are all questions. Questions for you to think about.
Referring to the Ipoh case. Sinchew admit that they have been waiting in front of the victim house for 1 hour plus but no one returned. How the hell do they know the victim address?! Where do they ‘dig’ the information from? Some more, they know things like, “The rapist cover her eyes but didn’t tie her her hands and legs”. How the heck they can know such details without even seeing the victim?
Something to think about.